You are currently viewing Facts that Needs to Know About Asian Flight Permit Requirements

Facts that Needs to Know About Asian Flight Permit Requirements

This business aviation blog post is part of a series on permit considerations for Asia. So be prepared to deal with numerous permits requirements while travelling to and within Asia.

You can expect that overflight and landing permits are required for both private non-revenue and charter non-scheduled commercial operations.

You will deal with various complexities in the permit process based upon factors such as routing, country of origin, type of flight, etc.

The following is an overview of what you need to know:

  1. Permit requirements and routing dependencies:

Examples of countries requiring landing and overflight permits include South Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, Russia (Eastern Russia), China, Singapore, Malaysia, Myanmar, and Thailand.

Always remember that one permit may impact other permits, and you will need to use routings that all relevant Civil Aviation Authorities (CAAs) accept.

If there’s a denial of one permit you will need to make revisions to your routing to make sure that it doesn’t impact other permits.

For example China has specific entry or exit flight information regions that it’ll accept for operations to and from Russia or Mongolia.

Most Asian countries won’t accept direct routings, and you will always need to use approved airways.

Be mindful that there’re altitude level restrictions to consider for China and cruise speed restrictions while transiting South Korea and Vietnam.

  1. Permit lead times

Lead times for permits in this region vary from two to 10 business days and are often longer for charter flights.

Indonesia, for example, requires 10 business days to process permit requests, and Singapore has extended lead times in the case of charter permits.

Military airports in India require 15 or more business days lead time for permits.

If you are operating to a joint use civil or military airport in Japan for tourism purposes, permit lead time is ten business days versus just three business days for business-related flights.

Best practice, while travelling to Asia, is to try to plan on at least two weeks lead time for permit requests.

  1. Permit processing:

Permits are processed by the relevant CAA. In this region, CAAs are normally open standard business hours Monday, Friday and closed on weekends and holidays.

While many CAAs have after hours personnel on duty, this is usually only to accommodate emergency flights.

Provided that all required information or documentation is provided, with the original request, permits can be processed faster than official lead times.

Remember that there will still be minimum lead times even required for short notice or emergency permit requests and revisions.

  1. Information/documentation requirements:

Permit documentation requirements vary country to country, so it is always important to confirm requirements in advance.

Documentation typically includes airworthiness, registration certificates, insurance certificate, and noise certificate.

Other important information includes complete crew/passenger/operator information, full schedule, routing and FIRs, purpose of flight, visa information etc.

  1. Unique documentation requirements:

Always check with your trip support provider, and/or ground handler, on any unique documentation needs at your intended destinations.

For example the Philippines require a color photograph of your aircraft before a landing permit will be processed.

For a Japan charter permit you will need to supply CAA with a signed copy of the charter agreement.

Some CAAs want to see wet or dry lease agreements for charter operations and documentation showing the relationship between the owner and the aircraft.

In order to process a landing permit China mandates that operators offer a letter from a local business sponsor.

Hong Kong is very specific on aircraft liability insurance requirements, and your policy should include specific verbiage and coverage.

For travel to Myanmar you will be subject to routing restrictions. Few airports are open to international general aviation (GA) travel.

  1. Charter vs. private non-revenue permits


In general CAA’s in Asia usually require additional documentation.

In many cases you will need to supply enhanced documentation, like charter agreements, dangerous goods onboard statement, specific liability insurance coverage, and/or Form 298.

Particularly when operating charters to the Asian region, it becomes important to confirm all documentation needs in advance with your trip support provider.

For both charter operations, you will need to provide CAA with a local business contact that will be responsible for your flight.

It becomes important that this business contact has current information regarding your flight, schedule, crew, passenger details etc.

This business contact should also be kept alongside. If the information given by the operator and business contact does not match, they can cancel your permit.


While planning a trip to Asia, particularly for first time operators, it is best to give at least two weeks lead time in order to process permits & to arrange required aircraft services.

It becomes important to make sure that all required information is submitted with the original permit request and that all mandated documentation is right and legitimate.

About Author:

Vision Aviation Global is a leading service provider firm in Delhi. We offer best flight support services that are truly very affordable & cost effective.

Vision Aviation Global is an authorised security approved company for filing and obtaining of landing and overflies permits.